Friday, August 14, 2009

And now for some commentary


So tonight. I'm doing the dishes. A not so common occurance at Magnolia, particularly because our watermain broke under the house and M and I were supposed to have showered by 9 am yesterday (so the note says that came to our door 4 pm yesterday...)

But I am using a sponge, at my parent's house in California (they're off jetsetting, leaving yours truly to cook and clean and generally be domestic with my bro until Monday) and it says "Nail Saver" and it's pink. And the wrapper says: "Your secret's safe with us... We won't tell anyone you do the dishes. Scrubbing power, absorbant wiping, and a comfortable grip to keep your hands out of the mess...Smart!"

I am offended by this, but I don't know if I'm being oversensitive or what.

Like, obviously women are the only ones doing dishes. Obviously such a task is beneath them, or they don't want to wreck their manicures, or let on that they're washing their own freaking dishes. I have no idea. Just something about this rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'll be more coherent later.

Edit:
http://community.livejournal.com/feminist_101/85126.html
This makes more sense than me, a little. Thank goodness for people with verbal skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment