Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The perks of being a cubicle drone

I started a new job about a month and a half ago. (Egads, it's almost been two months, but let's pretend that time is not passing ever so rapidly even thought that's technologically impossible...!) It's at an office downtown and I have never been more excited about an office building. The layout is nice and open and I have a wonderful view of the river when I walk down the hall. The sun comes in even when I'm far away from any windows and I have delightful "cube buddies" in my little quadrant. I've started to put up pictures and I'm nesting in quite nicely if I do say so myself. The workload is getting easier as time goes on and I'm getting more and more confident every day.

One of the most awesome things about working downtown is the access to all of the culinary delights Chicago has to offer, in particular food trucks! My coworkers are obsessed with food trucks, and with good reason. In the past two weeks we have had: tamales from the Tamalli Space Ship, empanadas from 5411 Empanadas, and today we had macaroni and cheese from The Southern Mac.

Additionally, there is a delightful little French-style market in the basement of the train station, and I am able to get quite a lot of chicken for four dollars, fresh produce, and a big ol' heap of Belgian frites (fries). These frites have awakened a dormant love for mayonnaise in me, and I don't know if I feel excited or ashamed.

Today I followed the wrappers until I found that USA Network was handing out free mini Häagen-Dazs cones for whatever reason. So fancy, they even had toasted walnuts on top!

I used to think the best part about working downtown would be to be close to all of my friends who've been working down here for the last few years. I imagined them all to be lunching together, laughing and having a grand old time. In reality, one of them goes to Wendy's "1.5 x per week" (when I asked how, he said he goes 1 time 1 week and 2 times the next week), another usually brings her lunch, and still another favors sandwiches over elaborate lunches with friends. Anyway, they're all far enough apart that it doesn't really work to meet up after all. But as long as I've got my free ice cream, I think I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment