Friday, April 5, 2013

Don't call it a comeback

Welcome readers! Much has happened in our absence. First of all, Pinterest was invented, ruining or enhancing the lives of cubicle drones everywhere with beautiful pictures of food, fashion, home goods, beautiful places... like we don't get enough visual stimulation by looking at computers for hours a day, we now have envy over those perfectly executed cupcakes, "easy freezer meals", the World's Best Macaroni and Cheese, and swoon worthy cocktails. But we can't look away. So thus it's time to throw our hats into the ring yet again and breathe some life into this creaky url. Thanks, Pinterest, for keeping the pilot light of cooking alive in our hearts. And just in time too, as Google Reader is slowly being phased out over the next few months...

But this is not a tech blog! You came to eat. And eat I did last night, at my first outing at Girl and the Goat. Wow guys. This place is the real deal. First of all, it's gorgeous on the inside, and was totally packed but not too loud at all. The space didn't feel cramped, the servers were attentive, and the wide front windows allow a perfect view of Randolph Street in all of its pre-Spring glory. The food was wonderful, small plates but everything cooked with care and attention. My dining companion and I shared:
  • Wheat bread with peanut butter butter (not a typo, freakin' delicious) and honey
  • Chickpea fritters (at the recommendation of Martha)
  • Broccoli with bleu cheese (tasted like some kind of smoked meat, amazing and taste-bud befuddling)
  • Diver scallops and of course
  • Goat belly with crab and lobster
All in all, fantastic! I think the chickpea fritters were the most filling, the broccoli the most surprising, and the goat belly was  tender and crispy and amazing all at once.

The only odd part was our reservations were for 4:30. And they had been made in January.  We were totally done by 6 pm, which was great ... but a little strange. What's a girl to do?

...Wander down to the first annual Fete Market, of course! I had gotten an email from my old pals at Tasting Table a while back about this event but had not planned on attending due to my work schedule. Thankfully things got shifted around and I was able to attend. Holy guacamole. I've never seen so many people crammed into such a small space. After paying a $5 entrance fee I hung up my coat and took it all in.  The first floor had a few food stands such as Mama's Nuts, Co-Op Hot Sauce, 5 Rabbit beer, Maria's Packaged Goods, etc, as well as some clothing, dinner ware, and a book store. (Marcel the Shell!)  But upstairs was rockin' and rollin' beyond belief!  It was tons of restaurants and bars and everything all crammed into the upstairs floor of the warehouse with me and 1000 of my non-closest friends in super close-friend territory, aka "all up in my biz."

I did happen to find my friend who was bartending at Longman & Eagle and we shout-chatted at each other a bit. I started to feel overwhelmed after a while by the madness and escaped to Firecakes where, inspired by Miss Fats (click to see pictures), I picked out a butterscotch praline filled doughnut. I cradled it all the way home, the long way down the Ashland bus, and ate it with a delicious mug of milk.  Perfect end to the night.... foodie heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment